In August of 1933 Mr. R.J. Shetlar and his daughter Rachel presented a “library project” to the County Council of Women asking for support in establishing a library in memory of his wife. In January 1934, the Council President appointed a library committee to represent all organizations and citizens of the county. This was during the dust bowl days. Meetings were difficult to conduct, financial prospects were nil, and the county census for that time was listed as being a few above 1,200. However the committee had a deep desire that those who were staying on were in sore need of diversion and escape within the home and felt books could meet those needs.